Hurricane Florence & Other Tropical Cyclones May Affect North Arlington
Hurricane Florence to make landfall Thursday as Major Hurricane with catastrophic impacts to SC, NC, and VA. There is also a very high risk of inland flooding due the Florence moving very slowly through the weekend affecting NC, SC, and VA. Over 3 feet of rain is possible in some locations. This amount of rain combined with the previous rain we have gotten in the past couple of months can potentially lead to severe flooding. Please follow the tips below to ensure the safety of your family and home.
After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.